3.14.2011

David & Amy : Time Cherished Before Lieutenant's Deployment


When David spoke to me on the phone about his session request, I choked up a bit.  Both Amy and him are from Reno.  He is a lieutenant in the Army and was going to have 4 days leave in Seattle before deploying to Afghanistan for ONE YEAR.  Naturally, Amy followed David to Seattle to soak up any remaining time she could with him.  Being positive about the situation, they made it quite a vacation together enjoying the theatre, getting massages and exploring the lovely (and unfortunately very cold at the time) city of Seattle.  He thought it would be nice to have some photographs taken with his sweetie.  I couldn't have agreed more!  

I am not a fan of war, but I am a huge FAN of military families.  They are the definition of strength.  The life of every family member is affected by military needs and (unfortunately) that means splitting up families during deployments.  As a photographer, I think about all the holiday and celebration photos where one member of the family will be absent.  I think about the one less plate at dinner, the one less cupcake eaten at birthdays and the unopened Christmas presents under the tree waiting for their recipient to come home safely.  

When photographing David and Amy, I didn't see all that.  I got lost in their gazes to each other.  I got lost in the sweetness and calmness they radiated.  They were simply happy to be with one another -- to live in the moment.  We should always live in the moment.




Thank you, lieutenant, for your service to this country!  We wish you safe travels and look forward to your return.  We support YOU and your FAMILY!

No comments:

Post a Comment